Call to Action: What You Can Do
Lawmakers need both the support and pressure from the people to make meaningful reform a reality. If we lose this opportunity for real change, it could be another generation before we come this close to reform that could help close the long-standing gaps in health.
As a society, we can no longer sanction a system that limits the provision of health care only to those who can afford it. The moral and financial imperatives are clear.
While some would like to advance the notion of a post-racial America, our health care system provides a frightening wake-up call that we are far from equal treatment. But a public option is a step in the right direction towards improving the health and quality of life of all Americans, regardless of their race, gender or income.
Here are a few things you can do to voice your support:
- Call, email or fax a letter to your senators and representatives voicing your support for a public health insurance option. Click here for talking points and information on how to contact your Members of Congress.
- Spread the message to family, friends, and members of your church, sorority, fraternity, and other organizations. Use social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook and personal blogs to get the word out as well.
- Plan or attend a rally. On June 25th, the Health Care for America Now! coalition is sponsoring a massive health reform rally in Washington, DC. Visit http://healthcare09.org/ for more information.
- Follow the debate – here are some of the top blogs and resources on health reform:
- Kaiser Health News
- Health Care for America Now! Blog
- New Health Dialogue Blog
- Ezra Klein Washington Post Blog
- Center for Budget and Policy Priorities
Do you have suggestions on great sites for plain talk about health reform? Leave your tips and recommendations in the comment section below.
[…] Read the entire blog post. […]
[…] a post titled “A Health Reform Agenda for Black America,” JudyLubin.com supports a public health […]